couch

couch

Thursday 10 April 2014

I am a Bunny by Ole Risom, illustrated by Richard Scarry and Paul Thurlby's Alphabet(board book version)

One of the many great things about giving books as a new baby present is that size doesn't matter. It's not like when you buy a beautiful 0-3 month babygro and hear that the baby is ten pounds and the mother is too exhausted for visitors. By the time you drop it off it'll be way too small. Or the baby is six half pounds and the cute Summer outfit you bought won't fit until next Christmas.

I think this present would be perfect whether its received Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter, any time up until the baby is two or even three. My son will be four in August and we still read his board books regularly. Although as one of them is a bunny book, around now is especially apt.

These two board books are slightly oversized. (I have artfully placed them beside a Playmobil figure below.) My point is that they are not tiny and a lovely size to look at with a cuddly baby on your knee.

They came to just over twelve euros, which the price of a fancy sunhat that will lie at the bottom of a baby bag forever, or a pair of useless booties that will never stay on.
I've raved about Paul Thurlby's Alphabet here, so I won't repeat myself. Heres a few pictures to remind you how cool it is.


I first saw I Am A Bunny on Dinner A Love Story. I'm working my way through all the books mentioned there and love each and every one.
But this was still a bit of a revelation. I mean, I knew it would be nice and cute but I didn't expect it to be so beautiful.

This is how it begins.
  I am a bunny. My name is Nicholas. I live in a hollow tree.

Just lovely. Each page follows him through his year, rain and shine, Summer and Winter. It's pretty perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment