couch

couch

Saturday 8 March 2014

Sidekicks by Dan Santat and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

I ordered this for my ten year old's birthday, but had to give it to him early. Compensation for no screens during the week and no more sugar on Weetabix was required. It cost about eight euros and was finished in a sitting, so at first glance not great value for money, but graphic novels have to be looked at differently, I think. This is a great, clever book and a fantastic addition to any library. I know there isn't a massive about of "reading" but I love the idea of introducing the ingenuity and the art in a comic strip to my kids heads and this is a fantastic example. I'm by no means an expert in the area, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.


Anyhoo, a little interview.
So, what is Sidekicks about? Pets wanting to spend more time with their owner, a superhero.
Pets? A cat who ran away, a dog who stayed, a hamster who stayed and a chameleon who was ordered off the internet.
What happens? The owner holds auditions for a sidekick and the pets go to them, but in disguise.
Do they have powers? All except the hamster.
And do they become sidekicks? Well, you don't find out until the end.
So you don't want to give away the ending? Yes.
Is it an exciting story? Yes.
Is it funny? Yes.
Would you read it again? Yes.
How many times have you read it so far? Twice.
Do you want your interview fee of one triangle of Toblerone now? Yes.

Also, what I've been reading.
There's quite a bit about superheroes in this one too. Its been a while since I've enjoyed a book so much and will just say there might be nicer ways to spend an hour than drink some coffee and finish this amazing book, but I can't think of any at the moment. The only downside to it was that it had to end.


2 comments: