couch

couch

Friday 17 January 2014

Lemon Cake and Children of the North Lights by Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire

This recipe is one I make with my children and whenever friends ask about it - and I start explaining the recipe - they say, hang on a second, I'll find a pen. It is IDEAL for making with kids, and here's why; the only measuring unit needed is an empty Yoplait yogurt carton, like this one.
You need: One carton of Yoplait natural yogurt (I used pear, but that's only because I was stuck, the natural white one is better) plain flour, baking soda, caster sugar, three eggs, sunflower oil and a lemon.
Dump the yogurt into a bowl, rinse the carton if you want to and use it to add one carton of sunflower oil, two of caster sugar and three of flour. Add the rind of the lemon, a teaspoon of baking soda and the three eggs.

Mix it all up and put in a springform tin at 180 degrees for about thirty five minutes. While its still hot you can brush some lemon juice mixed with icing sugar on top. (I let my son do this and the second I turned away he just poured the juice and sugar on the cake, and it was still yum.) It is absolutely fool-proof.

Well, this is a book blog so I'd better mention one. Children of the North Lights. If you are looking for a wintery read or a birthday present for someone aged four or five to seven - this is a lovely one. I first saw it mentioned on a blog called Pen Pals & Picture Books and gasped when I looked at the illustrations. 
Written in 1935, Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire traveled to Northern Norway to research this book which tells of a year in the life of the Sami people. Focusing on twins Lasse-Lapp and Lappe-Lise, it shows how they travel with their families and flocks of reindeer during the dark days, and when the sun makes an appearance, they are taken to a village. There they go to school until the thaw, when their parents come to collect them. Look at these pictures!
Before entering the village they are taken to the bathhouse.
Then they roll in the show,
and dress in clean clothes, stuffing their shoes with fresh hay.
And here they are in the classroom.





No comments:

Post a Comment