couch

couch

Saturday 2 November 2013

The Book about Moomin, Mymble and Little My

Tove Jansson wrote her first Moomintroll book in 1945. Its called The Moomins and the Great Flood and deserves a post of its own. Actually all her books do. They are not only beautiful but so gentle and thought provoking and wondrous and actually, very cool. This one The Book about Moomin, Mymble and Little My is from a series of three recently re issued by Sort Of Books. It features Janssons art and words, but translated by the English poet Sophie Hannah. She did a great job. Its a rhyming story about Moomin and his friends Mymble and her sister Little My. They all feature in the Moomin series for older kids (age eight to ten) too.
In this, Moomin sets off on a journey to get milk for his mother, and has quite a few adventures in the process. There is a lot of text on each page for smaller kids, I just read two lines to per page to my two year old, so I suppose four is the ideal age. Also, there is a little window cut in every second page, which is a little delicate, so that too is'nt ideal for toddlers. But just look at these illustrations. I know I could look at them all day long.





P.s. I first read about this book on Vintage childrens books my kid loves and Julias bookbag.

No comments:

Post a Comment